Sunday, April 12, 2015

So I've been thinking about everything that I have done over the course of this class and I think I have gained quite a few skills. Looking back at my learning goals they were kind of vague and ill defined; I guess this is because I didn't really know precisely what the course content was (I should have read the course guide more carefully!).

Overall I am very happy with the skills I have gained (and I feel certain that I have gained skills I did not possess before). At the outset of each week I may not have understood the point of the technology we were working with or how the skills we were developing would fit into my professional repertoire but after having worked on things for weeks now that I look back at what I have achieved and learnt I feel gratified.

I'd like to give a brief rundown of each week and how I think it helped me.

Week 1; so this week was an introduction to blogging and I stated my learning goals (briefly). I think that in stating my goals I was a little bit vague. This is probably because I missed the first class and I did not have a good handle on what the structure of the course was going to be. Still I would say that I achieved my learning goals and a whole lot more besides. 

Week 2; this was the week when we set up our twitter accounts. I learnt a lot about social media this week. One thing I really liked learning was how to tie together different types of social media (for example I learnt how to embed a twitter stream into a blog which I did not know how to do before). I also ended up following lots of awesome information management related twitters (like the National Archives, The State Library of Victory and Museum Victoria!)

Week 3; in week 3 we had a look at wikis and shared created content. Despite the fact that I was already quite into updating Wikipedia I did learn quite a lot this week because we downloaded EndNote. This was my first time using EndNote and I think it is fantastic. I am hoping to use it in all my essays from now on. I did learn quite a lot about other such sites though! I explored A Billion Graves and found my ancestors and relatives graves logged/cataloged there. I also learnt about Trove's text correction project!

Week 4; this was not a great week for me as I was having trouble with insomnia at the time. I found that I was not able to concentrate very well. For some reason I found that doing HTML classes in Code Academy was quite easy (the lessons were fantastic and I have done HTML in the past). Out group did not end up using Google docs this week but we made up for it the next week.

Week 5; this week I explored using Google docs and I also singed up for the social bookmarking site Delicious. I also ended up creating a Google map and embedding it in my blog.



So overall I feel I have learnt quite a lot. These skills i have picked up will hopefully be useful for me in my career. 

2 comments:

  1. My original goals were also quite ill-defined - I think it's because I was familiar with a lot of the tools already, so didn't really know what I'd take from the course. It's been great exploring new (and old) things, and being able to look at tools that I've used before in new ways, always relating them back to the IM field.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just checking in on everyone's final Reflections and they confirm that we all know a lot more about digital information organisation than we did 6 weeks ago. All great skills for a career in IM.

    ReplyDelete