Something else I learned about today which I found fascinating was the Billion Graves project. Using that website I was able to find the graves of my Grandparents and my Great Grandparents. I love seeing people working together to catalog and codify everyday things. It reminds me of the work I've done one the Biodiversity Heritage Library online website scanning old naturalism books.
Tuesday, March 17, 2015
So in class today we installed Endnote7. I was able to format it and get it working with OpenOffice (including getting the Harvard6 reference style set up as the default). We were also editing Wikipedia! I used to edit Wikipedia a lot. I spent many of my lunchtimes during my undergrad in the library looking up articles which I could help update using reference books from La Trobe's collection. Back then I had a dew accounts but I was only able to remember one of them. This account only had a few edits and I think I may have made it when one of my accounts was temporarily suspended for posting too much (probably posting too much in a controversial subject). Only one of the pages I edited on this account has kept the formatting I gave it. Behold the humble Handfish (click the image to see the wiki page).

Something else I learned about today which I found fascinating was the Billion Graves project. Using that website I was able to find the graves of my Grandparents and my Great Grandparents. I love seeing people working together to catalog and codify everyday things. It reminds me of the work I've done one the Biodiversity Heritage Library online website scanning old naturalism books.
Something else I learned about today which I found fascinating was the Billion Graves project. Using that website I was able to find the graves of my Grandparents and my Great Grandparents. I love seeing people working together to catalog and codify everyday things. It reminds me of the work I've done one the Biodiversity Heritage Library online website scanning old naturalism books.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I am starting to get what they mean when they say 'online community'. With opportunities to contribute to billiongraves.com, edit txt in Trove and make contributions to wikipedia people are connecting in the virtual world.Offering their time and skills helps other people and make things better - online volunteering!
ReplyDelete