Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Well my blog is off to an inauspicious start. I was unable to attend the first tutorial this Wednesday which means that I have not been assigned a group! I am going to email Huan and ask if I can join a group so that at least I'll be able to comment online and people will be able to view what I've written. Still missing out on class discussion and instruction is unfortunate; hopefully I'll be able to make it up in class next week.

So a few thoughts about blogging to start the blog proper. Firstly I have never blogged personally before (although I read the blogs of other people on occasion). I have however blogged in a professional capacity in both an information management role and in some freelance web design work. I volunteer at Museum Victoria after having done my placement for this degree there and part of what I do is updating the Museum Victoria Library's blog.

I feel there is something of a clash between my personal view of blogging and my professional view of blogging. I have never commented on a blog before and I do not follow the blogs of people that I know personally. But I love following the blogs of professionals and experts. So for me blogging is not a social experience but a way of getting information and staying informed. I feel that this blog will be a learning experience for me in that I will have use this blog in a personal and social way (especially with commenting on other students blogs; I have never commented on a blog before). I am also hoping to learn some other skills during this course/through this blog project (I am most looking forward to HTML!).

My opinion of the linked information management and technology blogs was somewhat conflicted. I liked some of the information they provided but many of them were full of personal information about the lives and feelings of the blog writers that I did not care about or find interesting. My favourite blog layout was for The Free Range Librarian but I did not enjoy all the personal information and purple prose.

1 comment:

  1. Hi. I found that the personal information drew me into the blog 'Information wants to be free' (and the catchy title) but once i had that connection I moved onto the more technical, professional articles.

    ReplyDelete