So its a little late but our group has set up a Google doc to talk about social bookmarking sites in. I am quite happy that this as eventuated as I felt like I was missing something when I looked at them on my own. Talking to other people about it I found out that most people are far more likely to use Bookmarks on their browser when they find sites they like/think could be a useful resource. I personally never use Bookmarks and I prefer to simply remember my favorite sites and useful resources. This will have to change as it is not very becoming of an Information Professional! With that in mind I signed up to Delicious and gave it a go. Although the conversation in Google docs inspired me to try out Delicious and allowed me to look at social bookmarking sites from a fresh perspective I did not feel I learnt too much from using Google docs as I have used it so much in the past. I was also inspired by the conversation we had on Google docs to check out the documentary Citizenfour. It was actually recommended I watch this in another class as well and I have to say I really liked it. I think ti was really well put together (but I might be saying that because it kind of confirmed a lot of the beliefs I already had about the internet and surveillance). On a related note I'd like to give a quick shout out to Sousveillance which I think is a really cool concept; check it out on Wikipedia.
I've also had a go at Google mapping! I don't know why but I decided to do downtown Seattle. I suppose I was thinking of places I would like to go on holiday and I would love to do a tour of the USA at some point. I actually really like the idea of Google Mapping, you could plan out a holiday, add an itinerary and put all the places you would like to visit on the map.
I didn't take anything new from using Google Docs in this class, either. There is such a strong emphasis on group work throughout the MIM program that I use it in almost every class, and have gained a pretty strong understanding of it already. I do think it's a great tool. I think of Pinterest as a social bookmarking (also photo sharing) tool, and the benefit it has is sharing your interests with other people. I wouldn't pin mundane things, nor bookmark them in a place like Delicious, but I think if it's something my 'network' of friends would be interested in, it's worth sharing. I think places like Delicious would be beneficial in terms of collaborating with colleagues in things like project management, or an organisation could share things of similar interests to engage with their community/followers.
ReplyDeleteSousveillance is such an interesting idea. I know of a couple of people who use it specifically when they are riding their bikes - as a way of keeping their own records of car drivers and the dangers that they face. The idea of 'inverse sousveillance' is a particularly interesting aspect, the watching of the watchers. Quite a brave move!
ReplyDelete